So you’ve booked a removalist well in advance, the packing has started and the house will be cleaned and clutter-free all in preparation for the big day! But as moving day approaches Mother Nature decides to intervene; now you’re just going to have to move in the rain!
While it’s not an ideal situation, our experienced removal team deals with harsh weather constraints on a daily basis. So who else is better equipped to guide you through tips for moving in the rain than Wridgways? Follow these tips to make in the rain moving as painless as possible:
- Ensure that you and your family/friends moving safely:
Everything will be more slippery than normal so remember to wear sturdy boots with a heavy tread. Consider wearing gloves to give you that extra grip if you are planning on moving furniture and boxes around on the day.
- Use the right removal boxes
Protecting your precious belongings is of course a priority, especially on a rainy day. Be careful what kind of boxes you use to pack and move your belongings. Boxes collected from supermarkets and fruit stores might lose their structure and ability to protect your items when they get wet. Choosing purpose built removal cartons will ensure durability on the day and added protection for the items inside. If you will be moving some of the boxes yourself make sure to hold the boxes from the bottom for support, and keep them under shelter as much as possible.
- Engage in the services of a professional removalist:
Your experienced removalists will be there on the rainy day to assist with all of the heavy lifting! We have been moving in the rain for over 120 years, so there’s no one better placed to handle your move with efficiency and care. Our experience, combined with our specialised packing materials, will provide the best possible protection to your precious belongings on a rainy day. Leave the hard work to us! (more…)How To Reduce Removal Costs
5 Ways to Save Money On Your Removal!
Moving house can be a costly exercise, with so much involved relocating your precious belongings to a new residence, and the other associated moving costs. It is easy to become overwhelmed by the long list of things to do prior to moving day, even if it’s just to the next suburb. But with a little preparation and a few tips, you can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars. So take time to consider these 5 easy steps to make moving house as cost effective and easy as possible:
- De-clutter – Everyone has furniture and other items in their home they no longer use. Moving house is the perfect time to get organised and de-clutter your home. Sell and dispose of any unwanted items to arrive at your new abode feeling tidy, organised and stress-free. If you haven’t used an appliance, piece of furniture or an old picture frame in the last 12 months, there is a very good chance you won’t use it again. Save yourself the hassle and added price of moving it with you to your new home, just sell or dispose of it. Both packing and unpacking will be made much faster and easier as a result too.
- Don’t go with the cheapest removalists – If you find one moving company provides a significantly lower price than others, there is probably a very good reason for this. Ensure you check their reputation and what is really included in the costs. Are they an accredited removal company? Are there any other additional costs? There is a good chance you will find hidden costs that will end up making your move a lot more than was initially quoted, such as paying to use protective covers or paying by the hour to suddenly realise the crew are moving very slowly! Accredited removalists will follow a strict Code of Conduct in all aspects of your move. This includes best practices for wrapping, packing and transporting of your precious possessions. Using a professional, accredited removal company will ensure that your precious furniture and valued possessions are in caring and capable hands, saving you a lot of money in the long-run. Ask for a fixed-price removal quote so you are not hit with unexpected extras on moving day.
- Insure your move – Most people insure their goods when they are safely sitting in their home doing nothing, but ask why they require insurance when their precious belongings are being handled, wrapped, moved and transported across the town, country or even the world! Did you know that professional removalists rarely damage goods when moving but almost 90% of accidents and damage are out of their control such as: road collision, train derailment, fire, flood, acts of God and more!! Insurance is for your peace of mind and a small investment in the scheme of a relocation. Ask your removalists consultant for a copy of the insurance Product Disclosure Statement to ascertain what is best for you.
We’ve all been there & stressed out, trying to figure how many cartons will I need? What is going to fit in each carton? Where will I get suitable moving cartons? And then there comes the mad rush at the end, trying to cram in all those last bits and pieces in.
So here are some tips and words of advice – prepare early! Packing early and efficiently will save you lots of time at both ends of your house move.
Make sure you collect your professional packing cartons, tape and paper well ahead of time; allow 2 – 3 weeks for this task. Wridgways packing cartons come in a range of sizes, each custom made with specific requirements to ensure maximum protection for your personal household goods. There are eight cartons types in total and available for pick up at your local branch or delivery. These are listed below along with measurements:
Standard Carton (teachest carton) – 483 X 406 X 684 H
Utility Carton (medium carton) – 483 X 406 X 334 H
Stereo / Electronic Carton– 598 X 406 X 246 H
Book Carton (small carton) – 406 X 320 X 334 H
Art Pack / Picture Carton– 1014 X 75 X 762 H
Port-A-Robe – 592 X 478 X 1024 H
Travel Trunk – 640 X 400 X 340 H
So you’re moving house. Amid the long list of things to do before you move, packing of your boxes is of course an item high on the moving agenda.
If you are thinking about doing the packing yourself, remember that you can always opt to engage the services of professional packer from a reputable removal company to pack only your fragile items such as glassware, crockery, electrical items, mirrors, ornaments etc. and you may be surprised at how cost effective this is. You are then free to pack the non-breakable items such as clothes, toys, books, etc., keeping your costs down, and protection high.
So when packing yourself, it is often difficult to estimate how many removal boxes you will need for the task. So our experienced team of removalists have assisted in preparing this easy-to-follow estimation guide for you:
Small move – 1 or 2 bedroom home approx. 15 – 25 cubic metres
- 30 – 40 x big boxes
- 15 – 25 x small boxes
- 2 x ream packing paper
- 3-4 x box tape
- 1 x Priority Carton (more…)
At Wridgways we understand that moving can be a stressful time and we recognise that you want the assurance that your precious furniture and valued possessions are in the caring and capable hands of a professional removals company. So please relax, after-all we have been safely moving household goods and personal belongings for our valued customers for over 120 years. So we are perfectly positioned to ensure the best possible move for you.
As a certified member of The Australian Furniture Removals Association (AFRA http://www.afra.com.au/), Wridgways are required to fulfil a strict criteria and Code of Conduct in all aspects of coordinating your move, including best practices for wrapping, packing and transporting of your goods.
Specialised Packing Cartons
Wridgways have a variety of specialty packing cartons each designed for specific items and uses. When combined with the expertise of our professional packing services, you can be sure that your items are being treated with the utmost care, intended to minimise damage and risk. (more…)