6 Tips to Moving House with your Feline Friend
Moving house can be a stressful time at the best of times, so much to do and often the challenge of a new home, job, school, etc can be a little daunting. So for your smaller family members, particularly cats, the stress can have a greater impact. Of course stress levels can be minimised when you choose a professional moving and pet transport company such as WridgWays, after-all we’ve been safely moving people, their belongings and their pets for over 120 years!
So how do you minimise stress levels and make the move a pleasant experience for your feline friend? Here’s a few tips to assist you:
1. Prior to introducing your cat to its new home, take time to clean the room where your cat will be staying in the initial ‘settling-in period’
Cats are territorial by-nature, they mark their home territory by rubbing their scent over furniture and objects in their home. ‘Scenting’ alerts other cats that this territory is already ‘owned’, and defines your cat’s boundaries. When a cat is relocated to a new home, the experience can be quite stressful, particularly if the new home has scents from a previous cat occupier
2. A few days prior to packing and moving day, have your cat collected or arrange for cat boarding for a few days.
Remember cats don’t like dramatic changes in their environment and the noise and activity of packing boxes, arrival of your removalists and moving furniture can confuse and frighten your cat. Its natural instinct is to run or hide, so be aware that your cat is safely secure or on a mini vacation until the removal is completed.
3. It’s worth the peace-of-mind to enrol the services of a professional pet transport company!
Professional pet carriers, such as those used by WridgWays, are the experts in pet transport and they perform this day after day and they love it! It’s worth the extra security and peace-of-mind to engage such a service when transporting your feline friend. You may be surprised at how affordable such a helpful service can be. They also provide expert veterinary advice and support during every stage of the moving process. Find out more here.
If you are moving locally and choose to take your car in the car, be sure to securely lock her in a suitable cat carrier, include a familiar toy or blanket and don’t forget the seatbelt. If you are unsure, always refer to your vet.
4. Getting your cat ready for arrival to her new home
It is important to confine your cat to just one room until unpacking is completed and your cat starts to become accustomed to their new environment.
There are a number of products on the market such as Feliway, a synthetic pheromone, that can be sprayed or ‘plugged-in’ in her new environment to add reassurance and reduce stress for your cat. Of course ensure your cat has fresh food, water, a litter tray and their favourite toy, or cat bed in the room. Be very aware that your feline friend may be a little stressed and looking for escape hatches, so do not place her in a room with a chimney, open windows or large cracks.
Also remember to leave their cat carrier in the room for reassurance and give her a place to hide. We recommend your cat should remain in the one designated room until the removal delivery is complete and a further 1-2 days following. During this adjustment time, be sure to regularly sit with and talk to your cat, reassure her that everything is fine and will soon return to normal.
5. Update her ID – don’t lose track!
Your cat may already have detailed identification on her collar, or registered via her microchip, if not be sure to look into this, and if you already have this covered, remember to update all address and contact details on existing ID.
So after a few days post-move, settling-in your feline friend is ready to explore her new environment. It’s suggested the best approach is to simply allow her to do this in her own time. If your cat is used to being outdoors during the day, check first to make sure there are no dogs nearby and probably best to keep her indoors for at least the first few weeks. Allow her to fully adjust to the new home, all the rooms, smells and noises before letting her venture outdoors. Check with your local council as to their local laws too as often there are ‘cat curfews’ in most parts of Australia and European countries.
A little pre-planning and preparation can make a huge difference to the transition of your cat into their new home.
6. Remember to reduce stress for the yourself, your family and your pets use a reputable, professional moving company like WridgWays – after-all it’s what we have perfected in over 120 years – We Make It Easy!
Visit our pet transport page for more information.The benefits of a professional packing service
The benefits of a professional packing service
So you’re moving house? There are many details to consider prior to moving day and packing can often be the most demanding aspect. It is easy to underestimate the careful preparation and time which needs to be invested in packing cartons for your move.
There are many reasons why you might feel overwhelmed by the packing process. Not sure where to start? Don’t know how to plan for packing or the best way to safely pack your breakables? Maybe you simply don’t have the time. Life will be much easier when you choose a professional moving company like WridgWays. Whether you want help with safely packing everything in your home or just selected items, WridgWays will save you time and effort! In fact, we can help ensure that everything reaches your new home safely, no matter what size, shape, or form. It’s all about professionalism and making moving simple and convenient for you.
The benefits of using WridgWays highly trained professional packers are extensive and include:
Experience in handling fragile, heavy and special care items – having safely moved families for over 120 years we are leaders in the removal industry. Your professional packers have experience in wrapping and packing your fragile/special care household items with the upmost care ensuring everything reaches your new home safely, without a hitch.
Experience and familiarity with packing materials and procedures – you will have peace-of-mind knowing that your personal effects are carefully protected using our specialised packaging materials secured in sturdy purpose-designed cartons. Your highly trained professional packer will arrive at a designated time with all the appropriate packing materials and get the job done efficiently, in a minimum of time. We know what problems commonly arise and how to pack and transport effectively to minimise these during your move. Using a professional packer can also reduce the number of boxes used, meaning less boxes to be unpacked upon arrival to your new home and more time for you!
Have training in health and safely to avoid or handle accidents – Your removal staff have been trained on how to properly lift and carry your furniture and cartons which will eliminate any potential harm caused when moving these yourself.
WridgWays professional packers will typically wrap pack and empty every drawer and cupboard, protect every wine glass stem, even the most fragile vase. They will have all cartons packed in your home in one day! Most people who attempt this huge task themselves find the packing goes on for weeks, the home is cluttered with paper and boxes and often they experience damage due to inexperience, lack of wrapping materials and using non-specific moving cartons. This often amounts to a significant amount of wasted time, energy and money in the long run. Why not leave it to the experts and consultant WridgWays for a professional packing quotation. Additionally, often goods that are packed by the owner are ineligible to be insured, so please check with your removalist prior to moving day or simply invest in the services of WridgWays professional packers for your own peace-of-mind.
WridgWays are happy to do all the carton packing for you; after all we are the packing experts. We have both the quantity and style of cartons necessary for your removal. The variety of cartons used to safely transport your personal effects include:
- Stereo/file cartons – these cartons are specifically designed for your electrical items; your amplifiers, CD players, files and the like. This also means all items are kept together making life easier come unpacking time.
- Art Packs – available in both small and large sizes, these cartons are specifically designed to safely transport your precious prints and paintings.
- Port-a-robe – this extremely handy purpose built robe enables you to transport clothes straight from your wardrobe without needing to remove hangers and flat pack them in boxes. Upon arrival to your new home simply hang straight into your new wardrobe.
- Book carton – specifically designed to transport your books, files or wine.
- Utility carton – this is a small general purpose carton built for office records, food stuffs, bathroom effects, tools etc.
- Plasma TV carton – If you no longer have your original Plasma TV carton – don’t worry! WridgWays can provide you with a specifically designed box to transport your TV safe and sound to your new home.
- If required, we can even provide you with sturdy custom built packing cartons to transport particularly sentimental or unusually shaped items in your home.
This all helps towards providing a stress-free environment. By enabling WridgWays to safely pack your items for you, you can ensure more time is spent preparing for the transition into your new house whether it’s switching utilities or purchasing new furniture. We take the stress out of moving! Don’t forget that you can ask WridgWays any questions you might have every step of the way.3 Ways Valet Services Will Make Your Move Stress-Free
The most pain-staking task when moving house is the time and effort that it requires to pack up your household items and have them ready to be moved to your new home. From ensuring that you’ve packed fragile items with materials to minimise damage, to making sure that the box you’ve packed isn’t too heavy, there are numerous factors to consider along the way. This is where a WridgWays valet service can save you time that can be spent doing more enjoyable things like furniture shopping for your new home or getting the family together to decide where everyone wants to explore in your new area.
Here are three ways valet services will make your move far easier:
- Packing – Your dedicated WridgWays valet lady will come to your home and carefully pack all of your precious belongings so that they’re ready to be moved, including the use of specialised protective materials for any fragile items that you may have. They will also ensure that your boxes are of a safe weight for lifting and transportation.
- Cleaning – Your professional valet member can then clean your home completely, so that it is ready for the next family to move in and/or any inspections as arranged by your real estate agent. Upon arrival at your new destination, your valet services team can also give your new home a thorough clean prior to unpacking your furniture and household items, ensuring it’s nice clean and fresh for you to move into.
- Placement & Unpacking – Organising your new home to suit your families’ needs and preferences can be a demanding task. Our valet ladies do this for a living and have extensive experience in ensuring the set-up of your new home is just perfect for your family. From placement of furniture, to the setting up of your bedrooms, office, bathrooms and kitchen in the most efficient manner possible, you can kick back and relax while having someone else do all of the hard work for you.
Moving from an apartment to a house marks an exciting new chapter in life – possibly with kids, pets, a garden and lots of new space to enjoy! And if you already have pets, your life is about to get much easier. However with all of this excitement, the process can also be a little overwhelming.
While a home might require some upgrades, which can be expensive. The good news is there is no reason to fear a move to a house. As long as you’ve factored in some added costs associated with a house, the rest of it is fun and invigorating. Here are some tips to have you settling into your new home with ease:
- Call in the removalists
Imagine moving all the furniture from your apartment into your new home without the stresses or strains typically associated with moving house. Well, with the help of a professional removalist like WridgWays, you can! Accredited removalists generally have many, many years of home moving experience and will be able to complete the move to your house in the minimum of time. They can also offer added help with things like a vacate clean in your apartment, connecting utilities in your new house and a professional valet unpacking service.
- Filling your house with furniture:
The extra space in your new home means you will need new furnishings to fill it. From the moment you know you are moving to a house, start researching ideas for styling so that you can make sure you stick to a theme throughout the house rather than picking up pieces from very different styles as you see them.
Try to these places to pick up great quality cheap or even free furniture items, ready for your new home:
- Buy second hand furniture or try online sites like gumtree.com.au
- Ask friends and family if they have spare items they no longer need and would be happy to give you
- Recover an old sofa to give it a fresh, new look
- Beautify with accessories such as cushions
- Give worn pieces some fresh paint
- Wait for sales like those at the end of financial year or on Boxing Day
- Consider some stores which offer complete packs that are much cheaper than buying individual items
So you’ve booked a removalist well in advance, the packing has started and the house will be cleaned and clutter-free all in preparation for the big day! But as moving day approaches mother nature decides to intervene; now you’re just going to have to move in the rain!
While it’s not an ideal situation, our experienced removal team deals with harsh weather constraints on a daily basis. So who else is better equipped to guide you through tips for moving in the rain than WridgWays? Follow these tips to make in the rain moving as painless as possible:
- Ensure that you and your family/friends moving safely:
Everything will be more slippery than normal so remember to wear sturdy boots with a heavy tread. Consider wearing gloves to give you that extra grip if you are planning on moving furniture and boxes around on the day.
- Use the right removal boxes
Protecting your precious belongings is of course a priority, especially on a rainy day. Be careful what kind of boxes you use to pack and move your belongings. Boxes collected from supermarkets and fruit stores might lose their structure and ability to protect your items when they get wet. Choosing purpose built removal cartons will ensure durability on the day and added protection for the items inside. If you will be moving some of the boxes yourself make sure to hold the boxes from the bottom for support, and keep them under shelter as much as possible.
- Engage in the services of a professional removalist:
Your experienced removalists will be there on the rainy day to assist with all of the heavy lifting! We have been moving in the rain for over 120 years, so there’s no one better placed to handle your move with efficiency and care. Our experience, combined with our specialised packing materials, will provide the best possible protection to your precious belongings on a rainy day. Leave the hard work to us! (more…)5 Ways to Save Money On Your Removal!
Moving house can be a costly exercise, with so much involved relocating your precious belongings to a new residence, and the other associated moving costs. It is easy to become overwhelmed by the long list of things to do prior to moving day, even if it’s just to the next suburb. But with a little preparation and a few tips, you can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars. So take time to consider these 5 easy steps to make moving house as cost effective and easy as possible:
- De-clutter – Everyone has furniture and other items in their home they no longer use. Moving house is the perfect time to get organised and de-clutter your home. Sell and dispose of any unwanted items to arrive at your new abode feeling tidy, organised and stress-free. If you haven’t used an appliance, piece of furniture or an old picture frame in the last 12 months, there is a very good chance you won’t use it again. Save yourself the hassle and added price of moving it with you to your new home, just sell or dispose of it. Both packing and unpacking will be made much faster and easier as a result too.
- Don’t go with the cheapest removalists – If you find one moving company provides a significantly lower price than others, there is probably a very good reason for this. Ensure you check their reputation and what is really included in the costs. Are they an accredited removal company? Are there any other additional costs? There is a good chance you will find hidden costs that will end up making your move a lot more than was initially quoted, such as paying to use protective covers or paying by the hour to suddenly realise the crew are moving very slowly! Accredited removalists will follow a strict Code of Conduct in all aspects of your move. This includes best practices for wrapping, packing and transporting of your precious possessions. Using a professional, accredited removal company will ensure that your precious furniture and valued possessions are in caring and capable hands, saving you a lot of money in the long-run. Ask for a fixed-price removal quote so you are not hit with unexpected extras on moving day.
- Insure your move – Most people insure their goods when they are safely sitting in their home doing nothing, but ask why they require insurance when their precious belongings are being handled, wrapped, moved and transported across the town, country or even the world! Did you know that professional removalists rarely damage goods when moving but almost 90% of accidents and damage are out of their control such as: road collision, train derailment, fire, flood, acts of God and more!! Insurance is for your peace of mind and a small investment in the scheme of a relocation. Ask your removalists consultant for a copy of the insurance Product Disclosure Statement to ascertain what is best for you.
1. Start With the Basics – Ensure you’re very clear about the purpose of your office relocation. This could be a lease break, lease expiry, planned growth etc. This will assist you in defining your needs and planning the appropriate office move for your business. Big decisions that must be agreed upon prior to the actual relocation will form the basis of the planning process, including the details of the existing lease, your notice period and current obligations and liabilities.
2. The Earlier the Better – With so much to do, the earlier you start, the greater the chance of achieving the smooth office move your company needs and expects. We recommend reviewing potential new locations anywhere from nine to 18 months prior to your lease expiration regardless of whether you are considering renewing or relocating. This lead-time is vital in increasing the amount of leverage and competition between the various options, potentially resulting in savings for you too! Don’t begin the moving process without planning a realistic budget. That way you can keep track of costs and ensure you don’t spend any more than needed. WridgWays offers professional relocation planning assistance, working within ant sized budget! A moving office checklist outlining any tasks to undertake won’t go astray. Your WridgWays office movers can again provide this to you. (more…)5 Reasons to Store your Goods
It is inevitable that there will come a time in our lives when we will need to part with and store our precious household items for the short or long term.
The top 5 reasons people need storage are:
- Moving overseas – moving overseas can be expensive, particuarly in you pack and move furniture and personal effects you don’t need. Moving house overseas provides a great opportunity to cull and sort to reduce your furniture removal costs. Storage is the perfect short or long-term solution for your cherished belongings and are safely waiting for you upon your return.
- Renovating – or expanding your home is an exciting project. The anticipation of remodelling your home or adding space opens a whole new level of possibilities. Renovations do however entail a lot of preparation even before the actual hard work begins. Store your belongings safely out of the way during the renovation process by using secure storage. You will have peace of mind knowing your goods are in the safe hands of our removalists.
- Taking an extended holiday – as much as you know you should be relaxing, there will probably be a little part of you stressing, knowing you’ve left behind valuable items in the home. Our homes all contain valuable or sentimental belongings and thieves may try to break in and steal these even if security systems are in place. Why not putÂ your valuable items into a temporary storage facility for your peace of mind? (more…)
Don’t get caught out. Recent media stories highlight the growing number of dodgy removalists in the industry!
The number of untrustworthy removalists popping up is increasing at an alarming pace. Moving house is enough of a testing time in one’s life that you shouldn’t have to worry about hidden costs, if your dining table will arrive scratched and chipped or whether your precious plasma TV will be misplaced by your removalist. But unfortunately, this is a growing concern for many moving. Among the top gripes are complaints about damaged or lost goods, hidden costs and unreasonable charges.
But this certainly isn’t the case with all removalists. Invest in the services of a professional and highly experienced moving company and save yourself this unnecessary stress. Here you won’t find ANY hidden costs and receiving your items damaged is a very rare thing!
Before any final decisions are made, consider the all-important below points in choosing a reputable moving company:
- Hidden Costs – Be aware, there are some removal companies that will try and squeeze every penny out of you. They might neglect to tell you about their added cost to travel from the depot to your home or increase the final price because the move took longer than expected. Ask your removalist about extra charges such as callout fees or costs from the depot. Companies that charge by the hour are generally where you will find this. Choosing a removalist company with the cheapest hourly rate, means they’re more likely to employ poorly-trained removalists. WridgWays will not charge you for callout fees or the cost of travelling to or from the depot. In fact, the one firm quotation you receive will indicate the total conclusive costs of your move. Any reputable moving company will be happy to answer any questions and explain their quote to you in finer detail.
- Qualifications – One of the first questions to ask is whether the company is a registered member of the Australian Furniture Removal Association (AFRA). Members of AFRA are only accredited when they have the necessary equipment, vehicles, premises and staff training needed to complete a professional move. All furniture removalists in the organisation must be fully trained in accordance with AFRA’s stringent training criteria. You will feel at ease using an AFRA accredited company like WridgWays, as rest assured, your removal team will treat your goods with the same care and respect you would give yourself. We recommended using a company that has been in the removals business for decades, to ensure credibility.
- Testimonials – Do some research online. Check out the customer testimonials on your removalist’s websites. This is always a true indication of how successful their moving services really are. Real life insights into past moves will help you make an informed decision about who to go ahead with and who to cut out. (more…)
Moving house can often prove to be quite a stressful and emotional experience. The transportation of beloved possessions can often be straining and it is fair to say that nobody cares more for their belongings than the owner.
At WridgWays we wholeheartedly understands these feelings, and of course our customer’s concerns. As a registered member of the Australian Furniture Removal Association, you can experience complete peace of mind in knowing that your WridgWays removalist team will treat your goods with the same care and respect you would give yourself.
AFRA members, like WridgWays, are required to fulfil a strict criteria and Code of Conduct. The staff of AFRA affiliates have been fully trained by their organisation in accordance with AFRA’s stringent training criteria. Rest assured that when using an AFRA accredited company like WridgWays Removalists , your removalist team have been fully trained to the highest standard.