Moving from an apartment to a house marks an exciting new chapter in life – possibly with kids, pets, a garden and lots of new space to enjoy! And if you already have pets, your life is about to get much easier. However with all of this excitement, the process can also be a little overwhelming.
While a home might require some upgrades, which can be expensive. The good news is there is no reason to fear a move to a house. As long as you’ve factored in some added costs associated with a house, the rest of it is fun and invigorating. Here are some tips to have you settling into your new home with ease:
- Call in the removalists
Imagine moving all the furniture from your apartment into your new home without the stresses or strains typically associated with moving house. Well, with the help of a professional removalist like WridgWays, you can! Accredited removalists generally have many, many years of home moving experience and will be able to complete the move to your house in the minimum of time. They can also offer added help with things like a vacate clean in your apartment, connecting utilities in your new house and a professional valet unpacking service.
- Filling your house with furniture:
The extra space in your new home means you will need new furnishings to fill it. From the moment you know you are moving to a house, start researching ideas for styling so that you can make sure you stick to a theme throughout the house rather than picking up pieces from very different styles as you see them.
Try to these places to pick up great quality cheap or even free furniture items, ready for your new home:
- Buy second hand furniture or try online sites like gumtree.com.au
- Ask friends and family if they have spare items they no longer need and would be happy to give you
- Recover an old sofa to give it a fresh, new look
- Beautify with accessories such as cushions
- Give worn pieces some fresh paint
- Wait for sales like those at the end of financial year or on Boxing Day
- Consider some stores which offer complete packs that are much cheaper than buying individual items
So you’ve booked a removalist well in advance, the packing has started and the house will be cleaned and clutter-free all in preparation for the big day! But as moving day approaches mother nature decides to intervene; now you’re just going to have to move in the rain!
While it’s not an ideal situation, our experienced removal team deals with harsh weather constraints on a daily basis. So who else is better equipped to guide you through tips for moving in the rain than WridgWays? Follow these tips to make in the rain moving as painless as possible:
- Ensure that you and your family/friends moving safely:
Everything will be more slippery than normal so remember to wear sturdy boots with a heavy tread. Consider wearing gloves to give you that extra grip if you are planning on moving furniture and boxes around on the day.
- Use the right removal boxes
Protecting your precious belongings is of course a priority, especially on a rainy day. Be careful what kind of boxes you use to pack and move your belongings. Boxes collected from supermarkets and fruit stores might lose their structure and ability to protect your items when they get wet. Choosing purpose built removal cartons will ensure durability on the day and added protection for the items inside. If you will be moving some of the boxes yourself make sure to hold the boxes from the bottom for support, and keep them under shelter as much as possible.
- Engage in the services of a professional removalist:
Your experienced removalists will be there on the rainy day to assist with all of the heavy lifting! We have been moving in the rain for over 120 years, so there’s no one better placed to handle your move with efficiency and care. Our experience, combined with our specialised packing materials, will provide the best possible protection to your precious belongings on a rainy day. Leave the hard work to us! (more…)5 Reasons to Store your Goods
It is inevitable that there will come a time in our lives when we will need to part with and store our precious household items for the short or long term.
The top 5 reasons people need storage are:
- Moving overseas – moving overseas can be expensive, particuarly in you pack and move furniture and personal effects you don’t need. Moving house overseas provides a great opportunity to cull and sort to reduce your furniture removal costs. Storage is the perfect short or long-term solution for your cherished belongings and are safely waiting for you upon your return.
- Renovating – or expanding your home is an exciting project. The anticipation of remodelling your home or adding space opens a whole new level of possibilities. Renovations do however entail a lot of preparation even before the actual hard work begins. Store your belongings safely out of the way during the renovation process by using secure storage. You will have peace of mind knowing your goods are in the safe hands of our removalists.
- Taking an extended holiday – as much as you know you should be relaxing, there will probably be a little part of you stressing, knowing you’ve left behind valuable items in the home. Our homes all contain valuable or sentimental belongings and thieves may try to break in and steal these even if security systems are in place. Why not put your valuable items into a temporary storage facility for your peace of mind? (more…)
Don’t get caught out. Recent media stories highlight the growing number of dodgy removalists in the industry!
The number of untrustworthy removalists popping up is increasing at an alarming pace. Moving house is enough of a testing time in one’s life that you shouldn’t have to worry about hidden costs, if your dining table will arrive scratched and chipped or whether your precious plasma TV will be misplaced by your removalist. But unfortunately, this is a growing concern for many moving. Among the top gripes are complaints about damaged or lost goods, hidden costs and unreasonable charges.
But this certainly isn’t the case with all removalists. Invest in the services of a professional and highly experienced moving company and save yourself this unnecessary stress. Here you won’t find ANY hidden costs and receiving your items damaged is a very rare thing!
Before any final decisions are made, consider the all-important below points in choosing a reputable moving company:
- Hidden Costs – Be aware, there are some removal companies that will try and squeeze every penny out of you. They might neglect to tell you about their added cost to travel from the depot to your home or increase the final price because the move took longer than expected. Ask your removalist about extra charges such as callout fees or costs from the depot. Companies that charge by the hour are generally where you will find this. Choosing a removalist company with the cheapest hourly rate, means they’re more likely to employ poorly-trained removalists. WridgWays will not charge you for callout fees or the cost of travelling to or from the depot. In fact, the one firm quotation you receive will indicate the total conclusive costs of your move. Any reputable moving company will be happy to answer any questions and explain their quote to you in finer detail.
- Qualifications – One of the first questions to ask is whether the company is a registered member of the Australian Furniture Removal Association (AFRA). Members of AFRA are only accredited when they have the necessary equipment, vehicles, premises and staff training needed to complete a professional move. All furniture removalists in the organisation must be fully trained in accordance with AFRA’s stringent training criteria. You will feel at ease using an AFRA accredited company like WridgWays, as rest assured, your removal team will treat your goods with the same care and respect you would give yourself. We recommended using a company that has been in the removals business for decades, to ensure credibility.
- Testimonials – Do some research online. Check out the customer testimonials on your removalist’s websites. This is always a true indication of how successful their moving services really are. Real life insights into past moves will help you make an informed decision about who to go ahead with and who to cut out. (more…)
Everything You Need To Know
Our Handy Infographic – Moving House Checklist
Everything You Need To Know
Moving into a home is both very tiring and thrilling. At whatever time you move home, whether you are moving around the city or across the country, a suitable checklist will make sure that you never miss out on any key documents all through the move.
WridgWays Removalists is an established local, interstate and international removalist with the years of experience necessary for a smooth, easy move. WridgWays Removalists has 125 years of experience moving Australian families.
Our team of local, interstate and international removalists are skilled professionals, who provide understanding and care. Our services include packing, unpacking, cleaning, vehicle transport, insurance, and much more! To discuss you next move find your nearest removalist branch here.The Benefits of Using an Accredited Removalist Company
Moving house can often prove to be quite a stressful and emotional experience. The transportation of beloved possessions can often be straining and it is fair to say that nobody cares more for their belongings than the owner.
At WridgWays we wholeheartedly understands these feelings, and of course our customer’s concerns. As a registered member of the Australian Furniture Removal Association, you can experience complete peace of mind in knowing that your WridgWays removalist team will treat your goods with the same care and respect you would give yourself.
AFRA members, like WridgWays, are required to fulfil a strict criteria and Code of Conduct. The staff of AFRA affiliates have been fully trained by their organisation in accordance with AFRA’s stringent training criteria. Rest assured that when using an AFRA accredited company like WridgWays Removalists , your removalist team have been fully trained to the highest standard.
When it comes to packing, being faced with boxing up your entire house with a looming deadline can be a very daunting process! But never fear, we have a few ideas and words of advice to assist keep your stress levels at a minimum:
Hire a Professional if possible – The obvious answer is to hire the carton packing services of a professional removalist company like WridgWays Removalists ! Our skilled packers can pack the entire contents into cartons in one day! But don’t try this at home, these girls and guys have been professionally trained and pack fragile and non-breakable items into boxes every day and it is what they do better than anybody else. If you can’t afford to pay for a full pack, consider having the professionals pack your fragile items only. This consists of glassware, ornaments, electricals, pictures and anything breakable. Keep in mind that anything you self-pack may not be eligible for insurance cover.
Plan – Regardless of whether you are packing part of all of your belongings, be sure to start as soon as possible. Devise a plan and set dates against each room or area. In your plan include set dates to pack each room and work room-by-room. Start with the drawers and cupboard contents you use least. The key is getting organised early and allowing plenty of time to complete the process. This will help keep your stress levels to a minimum.
Clear out unwanted items – Start getting rid of all the things you don’t intend to take with you to your new home. It’s a great opportunity for a fresh start plus will save you time and energy moving it to the new home. Unwanted items can be donated via a cool website called Ziilch.com or of course sold using EBay or the good old-fashioned garage.
Mistake #1 – Leaving moving tasks until the last minute
Unless you are a seasoned mover, it is not uncommon to underestimate tasks that need to be done before the moving day, such as packing, planning, etc. The trick is to start early! Download our Moving Checklist and start checking off all the things you will need to get done. Try and start working through your to do list at least one month prior to moving day. Remember to dismantle or disassemble such items as trampolines, BBQ’s, swing sets etc well ahead of time. If you don’t wish to perform these tasks yourself, ask your removalist to provide a quote to have this done for you.
Preparing well-ahead of time for your removal will not only save you time but will also save your sanity and keep your stress levels to a minimum. A well-planned move will allow you to feel in control and enable you to remain calm and efficient leading up to and on your moving day. A good removalist company will guide you and support you during the planning stage and take control of your requirements on your scheduled pick-up and delivery days.
Mistake #2 – Using non-removal moving boxes
WridgWays has spent many years refining and perfecting our range of professional removal boxes and they are specifically designed for moving household goods. The carton range includes purpose-built boxes including; teachest size cartons that are ideal when packing kitchen plastics, toys, bedding and general goods. Book cartons, as the name suggests, are designed to hold books and are deliberately smaller to ensure minimum weight and perfectly shaped for this purpose. We have a further 10 carton styles in our range including Plasma TV cartons, Portable wardrobes, utility cartons and more to accommodate every household item you can imagine. If we feel a special or delicate item requires further protection, we will even build a wooden crate exclusively for this piece.
If packing non-fragile items remember to allow plenty of time for this task and remember to label every box with a brief content description and which room you wish the box to be placed upon delivery. This will save time for you and your removal team. Importantly when moving overseas, never use supermarket cartons that have been used for food stuffs as this may cause delays through Quarantine or Customs plus they are just not a good choice as above-outlined.
Mistake #3 – Using a non-accredited removal company
When it comes to moving your precious belongings and household furniture, securing the cheapest quote will not provide you with the premium service you need and deserve. Professional removalists such as WridgWays, spend time and money ensuring their removalists are trained and efficient on every removal, year in, year out. WridgWays proudly holds accreditation to and membership of numerous professional organisations such as AFRA (Australian Furniture Removals Assoc), FIDI, Australian and International Standards, Environmental accreditations and many more. Our high standards and professional accreditations are your assurance of a premium removal service from start to finish. Don’t compromise a stress-free professional move for the sake of a few dollars by using a cheap, unreliable moving van or company. It is simply not worth the risk and may leave you with out-of-pocket expenses if your goods are damaged or items are lost.
Ask you removal company if they hold accreditations and professional memberships, be sure they are reliable, and their staff members are professionally trained.