Whether you’re moving interstate to Melbourne or migrating from overseas, entering a foreign environment may seem intimidating at first. In order to grasp a genuine feel of Melbourne (as your next potential home), take the time to stay in the city like a local.
The best way to feel like a local in any city is to ditch the hotels and stay in a short-term rental.
We have found the most homely and unique Melbourne AirBnbs, which will provide a comfortable, local vibe for you to experience the city life.
Twenty-Six amazing Melbourne Airbnb rentals you need to stay In
If you’re planning a move to Melbourne, there is no better time than now to test out some of these rentals and immerse yourself in the diverse culture and vibrant Melbourne way of life.
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Price: $98 per night
Immerse yourself in a one-of-a-kind, peaceful, indoor forest in the very heart of Melbourne’s CBD area.
Featuring various indoor plants, cloud themed furniture and friendly hosts, escape the bustling city to this apartment for 2.
With a fully equipped kitchen, wifi, Netflix and air-condition, enjoy the luxuries of modern living fuse with the zen environment of nature.
Located within 15 minutes of most of Melbourne’s CBD attractions, this property is an amazing opportunity for a short getaway.
- “So much colour and fun!”
- “Fantastic, lovely & exotic.”
- “Definitely recommend for a different stay. Really great and comfy design.”
- “Awesome place to get away (without really getting away if u live in Melbourne!).
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Price: $120 per night
This warehouse conversion oozes vintage vibes from the 1940s, yet allows guests to experience the vibrant lifestyle and culture of Melbourne.
With multiple restaurants, bars and art galleries right at the end of the street, travellers can exploit the conveniences of its location without having to worry about late night journeys home after a fun night out.
This award winning designer apartment will add value to your holiday or staycation.
Tucked away on a quiet laneway in Paris End of Melbourne, the friendly host, Luke, ensures a peaceful night’s sleep.
- “This was the best Airbnb I have ever stayed at.”
- “Such a great apartment and location. Highly recommend.”
- “The hosts go out of their way to accommodate.”
- “Excellent location and very chill vibe.”
- “ Highly recommend if you wanna experience local Melbourne life.”
South Yarra, VIC, Australia
Price:$281 per night
Looking for a chic and spacious Melbourne Airbnb experience? This Art Deco, Rooftop Garden is right on the money.
Featuring furniture by celebrated designers, the property also boasts cable TV, WiFi, free parking, and complete privacy for a maximum of 3 guests.
Picturesque views and plenty of fresh air are available right here in the suburb of South Yarra.
A mix of vintage, modern, antique and industrial interior design is a promise to make your stay in this apartment memorable.
- “The apartment was beautifully furnished, comfortable and clean”
- “Great Place.”
- “The apartment was fantastic in every respect and a joy to stay in.”
- “Leon really went out of his way to make us feel welcome.”
- “Have recommended this beautiful place to friends already.”
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Price: $147 per night
Not only does this warehouse converted apartment comes with WiFi and breakfast, but business amenities are readily available for business travellers as well.
With an ideal city location, people moving to Melbourne can get a taste of local food, shopping and culture. If the unique interior doesn’t sway guests, the nearby bars and cafes definitely will.
This property has an indoor wooden motif which is paired with eye-catching street art downstairs and a rooftop space upstairs. Finish a fruitful day of shopping off with a dip in the sunken bath exclusive to this Airbnb.
For a weekend getaway with family or a short stay with friends, this apartment for 4 epitomises Melbourne city life, having even been featured in the Sydney Weekender.
- “Amazing! Stay here. It’s even better than the pictures, lots of space, a perfect location and Michelle is lovely.”
- “This was the most beautiful place I’ve ever stayed!”
- “Great location, great space.”
- “Great living space central to anywhere you need to be in Melbourne city!”
- “Highly recommended!”
Mornington, VIC, Australia
Price: $175 per night
Experience Melbourne’s winter with a trip to the Mornington Peninsula. The cosy comforts of this romantic, rustic home set the mood for two.
Complete with wineries, hot springs, and reputable restaurants all within close proximity, this holiday retreat captures the essence of life in Mornington.
Local delicacies and natural wonders are walking distance away. Discover local treats at the Sunday Market at Mornington Racecourse or splash about on a snorkelling adventure at the nearby beach.
This 5-star getaway includes a 10% discount at a nearby spa, has a fireplace for cold nights and can even accommodate for small pets.
- “Would love to come back again one day”
- “Definitely recommend for a relaxing time away”
- “Beautiful villa- perfect for a romantic weekend away!”
- “Great location, close to the beach and spa tops it off!”
- “Everything was perfect, my only negative is that I didn’t stay longer”
Warburton, VIC, Australia
Price: $196 per night
Craving for some quality time with loved ones? This sophisticated barn that accommodates 9 people is unbeatable.
Reconnect with nature and undergo the uniqueness of this self-sustainable Airbnb topped off with nearby biking and walking trails for a digital detox.
Set in the Yarra state forest, this owner-built barn is prime for bonding with family and friends.
Get domestic in this rustic environment and experiment with the wood fire pizza oven and barbeque, or take advantage of the outdoor entertainment area.
Enjoy the calm and soothing back-to-nature facilities without having to forgo the comfort of heating and internet connection.
- “The accommodation is beautifully equipped with everything you need.”
- “The fireplace was great with plenty of wood handy.”
- “Family friendly, quiet and away from the usual distractions of tv and mobile phones.”
- “This is such a beautiful part of the world.”
- “The host made us feel very welcome, and the house was incredible to explore.”
Castlemaine, VIC, Australia
Price:$155 per night
Huddled under a huge peppercorn tree, this Melbourne Airbnb for 3 is a rare opportunity for travellers to get back to nature yet revel in a lavish and elegant home setting.
The minimalistic design of this self-sustainable studio is a juxtaposition to the serene nature just out the front door, to expose guests to the best of both worlds.
Accompanying the fully equipped kitchen are delectable treats such as homemade jam, organic milk, breakfast cereals and much more.
- “Wonderful place. Beautiful and comfortable. Quiet and peaceful.”
- “Cute house and really lovingly decorated.”
- “ It was just as beautiful as the photos, if not more!”
- “We have stayed here before and it was just as gorgeous and relaxing as it was last time.”
- “Under a Peppercorn Tree was absolutely gorgeous, we will 100% be visiting again.”
Carlton, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 225 per night
The Stable gushes with Old European charm that are bound to leave a lasting impression on guests.
The 1800s built beauty is newly renovated and built for an unforgettable experience for 2.The original red bricks of the architecture are maintained to ensure an authentic feel while the interior maximises luxury.
Situated at a cobblestone laneway off Lygon Street, guests can explore Italian restaurants and indulge in the bars, cafes and bakeries nearby.
The CBD, parks and shopping malls are all within 10-minutes walking distance from this central location too.
- “It was a magical place perfectly situated down a secluded laneway.”
- “House is brilliant, so much charm.”
- “Simply gorgeous and the space was more beautiful and spacious than the photos”
- “So close to everything, we didn’t need to use our car at all.”
- “This is a real gem.”
Forrest, VIC, Australia
Price:$190 per night
This detached stationary train carriage is rejuvenated by a steampunk vibe that encapsulates the quirky living quarters for 6 guests.
This train carriage defies convention and is supplied with heaters, electrical wiring, wifi and a full mini kitchen.
The hosts provide board games, a stereo, books and 2 mountain bikes. With Victoria’s best network trail nearby, guests can also relish in the great outdoors.
- “What an incredible place to stay!”
- “What an incredible and unique place to stay”
- “A wonderfully unique and quirky place to rest on our weekend away!”
- “Steam is the perfect blend of quirky charisma and creature comfort.”
- “Highly recommend.”
- The Oxford – Warehouse Conversion Collingwood
Collingwood, VIC, Australia
Price:$235 per night
This double-storey warehouse converted apartment envelopes vintage and urban chic, suitable for 6 people.
The Oxford is a spacious loft is accessorised with artwork, antique furniture and a boho-inspired interior.
If guests do not feel like taking advantage of the full sized kitchen, they can explore many nearby cafes and bakeries that have earned Melbourne its reputation for good coffee.
- “It’s an attractive warehouse conversion very classily done.”
- “Great place!”
- “ Close to awesome cafes and bars.”
- “A truly fantastic place to stay.”
- “Absolutely loved staying here!”
Daylesford, VIC, Australia
Price: $175 per night
A fusion of Scandinavian interior and English architecture, the Wombat Barn Guesthouse restores rural idyll.
Exquisite living conditions and a garden full of edible produce, this countryside home is available for 2 guests to occupy the guesthouse.
This Melbourne Airbnb comes with an upper-level outdoor deck for guests to lounge around on, and take in the scenic view.
Flee the hectic and noisy CBD to take in the serene, relaxing countryside at Wombat Bam guesthouse.
- “Lovely hosts comfortable and central location”
- “Beautiful home with lovely views of Daylesford.”
- “Perfect location, gorgeous design and interior.”
- “Beautiful views and great location.”
- “A delightful guest house for two.”
Docklands, VIC, Australia
Price: $243 per night
Brightly lit with a magnificent view of the ocean in the morning and vibrant colours that bring the city to life at night, this penthouse has it all.
You and 5 other guests can bask in the “5-star hotel” calibre treatment and get the benefits of the free tram zone when venturing into Melbourne’s CBD.
The hosts have been described to be accommodating, prompt and pleasant to interact with, ensuring a convenient, stress-free vacation.
- “Awesome place with an amazing view!”
- “Beautiful view especially at night, the place is within the free tram zone, overall it is really nice place to stay!”
- “Really beautiful apartment, very clean.”
- “Excellent experience.”
- “Very happy with our stay at this apartment, the host was very welcoming.”
Venus Bay, VIC, Australia
Price: $144 per night
Tea Tree Hill manages to blend outdoorsy beach vibes with extravagant living conditions that are sure to enhance your holiday experience.
Described as a classic, 1963 beach shack, The Quintessential Beachshack is a short walk away from Beach 5.
Detox this weekend with 4 others with the available candles, essential oils and unique lighting and enjoy the many original art and furniture pieces decorating this beautiful property.
Visit the wineries scattered along the 2-hour drive back to Melbourne after a holiday of kayaking, yoga, and biking that are all made available by the hosts.
- “The perfect place to relax and enjoy the weekend getaway or longer!”
- “We will be back!”
- “Daniels place was wonderful – very secluded and close to the beach!”
- “Rivers to fish in, lots to see and do and lovely to come back to a home”
- “Quirky and comfortable accommodation.”
South Yarra, VIC, Australia
Price: $139 per night
Get a taste of sophistication and luxury living in one of Melbourne’s up and coming suburbs with this self-contained studio.
With a large balcony for recreational activities and an optimal location in Chapel Street, guests can fully experience the hype and buzz that nearby eateries have to offer.
Many convenient stores and supermarkets make for the comforts of a home cooked meal to enjoy on the spacious balcony for fresh air and quality time for 2.
- “Perfect Prahran location – right next to the markets and an unhealthy amount of amazing restaurants and bars.”
- “Great accommodation! Highly recommend.”
- “It had a great view of the city skyline (and fireworks!) from the spacious and private balcony”
- “Amazing room!”
- “Staying in this studio was an absolute delight!”
Need the ULTIMATE guide to Melbourne to get you started? Find it here.
Smiths Gully, VIC, Australia
Price: $181 per night
This Melbourne Airbnb is an animal lovers’ haven.
Surrounded by beautiful wildlife and natural habitats, guests get to embark on an adventure packed with playful interactions with kangaroos, echidnas, horses, goats and even eagles.
This self-contained private retreat simultaneously offers nearby wineries and lakeside views to go with the ample amount of space and privacy of the property.
Whether it is a family vacation or a venture with friends, this home for 4 is 8 acres worth the hype.
- “Absolutely amazing, all we need to say!”
- “Highly recommend!”
- “Nothing to fault, even the animals want to say hi.”
- “Great place to stay, beautiful view!”
- “Perfect little getaway”
Prahran, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 105 per night
Have your childhood dreams come true by staying over at this Treehouse Studio Apartment for 2!
Hidden away in the heart of Prahran, this Airbnb is a gateway to experiencing Melbourne’s unique culture. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee from the cafes nearby, or the fact that it is located so close to a train station is just 2 minor bonuses of this property.
With an abundance of parks, local restaurants, art centres and even the beach a mere walk away, who wouldn’t want to stay here?
- “Perfect little studio in a fantastic location.”
- “My fiancé & I loved the treehouse!”
- “Clean, light and airy space.”
- “Highly recommend a stay in TreeHouse is great.”
- “Sue was very welcoming and helpful.”
Richmond, VIC, Australia
Price:$100 per night
Indulge in this warm and welcoming warehouse studio loft for 4 in one of Melbourne’s trendiest suburbs. There is a bit of everything for everyone- whether you’re into Vietnamese food or trendy bars and restaurants, all these options are just a short walk away!
The overgrown Devil’s Ivy and giant palm leaves amplify this brightly lit estate to enhance guests’ stay.
Treat yourself to a satisfying brunch in nearby cafes or prepare a wholesome dinner to enjoy in the vintage-styled balcony.
- “Colette’s place was lovely!”
- “Great location.”
- “So airy, bright and cool!”
- “Beautifully decorated apartment in a wonderful location!”
- “Awesome place to experience an inner city lifestyle.”
Lauriston, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 150 per night
Relive old camping memories with these two Airbnb options- a caravan from the ‘50s and a tram carriage from the 1920s.
These two vintage gems are spruced up by forgotten treasures and one-of-a-kind antiques to provide the authenticity of old-world charm.
Spend the night by lighting a fire and lounging around a campfire, or kick your feet up and relax in a hammock- and these are only two of the many recreational options available at this Airbnb.
- “What a lovely stay away from the city.”
- “Our second time here is just as magical as the first!”
- “Like something from a magical movie”
- “It’s quirky and interesting and we loved it.”
- “No one else can compare!”
Budgeree, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 125 per night
120 acres of 70’s retro chic, plenty of fresh air and absolute privacy. This is the dream getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The boundless landscape and friendly wildlife allow guests to further immerse in this tropical oasis in the gully. Let your worries evaporate as you and 9 of your loved ones occupy this petite caravan parked at the top of a valley.
Seize the opportunity to watch sunsets, sit around campfires and witness wallabies frolic in the open fields.
- “The idyllic holiday for Me time away from daily monotony!”
- “Very quiet and secluded with brilliant views”
- “Fantastic!! Better than the photos!”
- “Wonderful getaway.”
- “10/10 would book again (also saw wild Koala in a tree on the hill – magnificent).”
Portsea, VIC, Australia
Price: $1,750 per night
This giant villa is complete with a tennis court, 24/7 concierge service and a magnificent view of the ocean. Worth every penny spent, this Melbourne Airbnb on the Mornington Peninsula will definitely make for an enchanted trip for 10.
Additional perks, which include a welcome hamper and luxury toiletries will give guests a glimpse into the luxurious waterfront lifestyle.
Start your day in your own personal horizon pool and finish off with an al fresco dinner on the deck or balcony.
Portsea, VIC, Australia
Price: $950 per night
Table tennis, a personal swimming pool, copious amounts of space and 9 other friends is a guaranteed recipe for an unforgettable stay. To top it off, this Portsea Property also features a heated spa and BBQ on a fabulous deck.
The Grey House is bound to wow guests, with access to Portsea front beach.
Public transport is also conveniently close and guests can just take a stroll up the street to find a meal at one of the local restaurants and cafes.
- “The Grey House was the perfect place for a family break.”
- “Our host was very helpful and accommodating.”
- “Great location and amazing place to enjoy Portsea.”
- “Fantastic and owner is wonderful and extremely accommodating”
- “The Grey House is a beautiful home in an even more beautiful location.”
Portsea, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 815 per night
The only way to vamp up your holiday by the beach is to stay at Portsea Sol. This award winning property doesn’t just have 1, but 2, separate, mind-blowing views. Take in the ocean view or switch things up simply by going out back for the bay view.
This Melbourne Airbnb offers an infinity pool, two fully equipped decks for dining and relaxing just for you and up to 13 other guests.
- “Amazing views, great location and kitchen very well equipped!”
- “House was perfect.”
- “Beautiful beach views”
- “House was clean and the pool was great as well.”
- “Highly recommend”
Tyabb, VIC, Australia
Price: $129 per night
This farm building turned cottage is more than enough space for 2 people. Situated on the Peninsula, this property is suitable for couples looking to spend quality time together and create beautiful memories.
A private paradise with a hint of antique is promised to provide peace and tranquillity all throughout your stay.
This romantic, rustic, rural getaway is a steal in terms of price but still manages to deliver a top quality experience, with lush greenery and breath-taking views all around.
- “The property was beautiful and very relaxing.”
- “We love the place.”
- “Can’t wait to stay again sometime.”
- “Feel very refreshed after our stay.”
- “Great peaceful getaway.”
Balnarring Beach, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 150 per night
Prepare to reconnect with nature by staying in this lovable, quirky Airbnb for four. The Love Shack on Balnarring beach allows for parties and entertainment on the large deck or in the garden.
Heat up on a winter’s night with the wood heater while lounging around in the cosy cabin. Nestled away in a hidden garden, this charming property is a utopia.
For the more restless travellers, visit wineries, sign up for horse-riding or participate in sophisticated cheese tastings.
- “Wonderful little spot”
- “A cosy, intimate space that is close enough to the beach to feel you can touch the sea.”
- “Lovely place, cosy, comfortable and cute”
- “Well equipped, quirky cabin.”
- “We loved our time at the Love Shack”
Fitzroy North, VIC, Australia
Price:$ 166 per night
Like something fresh out of a fairytale, this beautiful Tardis has the wow factor that will create a unique Melbourne Airbnb experience.
This small studio space for two is surrounded by gum trees and the adorable little critters living in them- such as birds and squirrels.
Despite its compact appearance, this property comes with a kitchen, wifi and a decking outside the studio.
- “This place was such fun to stay in.”
- “Had a wonderful stay in this cosy and unique little space.”
- “The Tardis was absolutely amazing!”
- “Lin’s place was just like a fairy tale.”
- “I loved my stay here!!”
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Price: $199 per night
A classic yet bright and lively New York style apartment, Shocko 1 is the very definition of Melbourne CBD living.
Located in the centre of the city, this Melbourne Airbnb is well-fitted for two people. Open the front door to greet various bars and restaurants for the ultimate Melbourne cultural experience. Reputable bars such as Gin Palace and Bar Ampere are just a short walk away.
Head over to the cafes, eateries and fashion boutiques that Melbourne is known for in this theatre and fashion precinct.
- “Great, central location to explore Melbourne”
- “Fantastic apartment, great location.”
- “Now a favourite place to stay in Melbourne.”
- “Amazing location, great host.”
- “The apartment was lovely “
Apartments, luxury villas, lofts or conversion warehouses, there is an Airbnb place in Melbourne for anybody. Kick off your next visit to Melbourne in one of these amazing properties and create a memorable stay in the most livable city in the world.
[tip_box]We encourage you to get acquainted with the city before your interstate move to Melbourne – it will make all the difference when it comes to settling in! You will feel like a Melbourne local in no time.[/tip_box]