With a move to Wellington, you'll discover a wide and diverse culinary offering for every taste and budget. From the cool and quirky cafes on Cuba Street, to the award-winning dining options in the city, there isn't a shortage of great restaurants and eateries for locals to try.
WridgWays is here to help when moving from Australia to Wellington. With over 125 years of moving experience, we make an international relocation stress-free. We can organise everything from packing and unpacking, to pet transport and moving insurance.
- Where: 170-172 Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington
- Price: $$-$$$
Set in the heart of Wellington, Olive is the joint effort of brothers Fredi and Carlo Petagna, and head chef Jamie Morgan. Offering contemporary New Zealand cuisine, it really is the best of New Zealand food and locally brewed beer... And perhaps the best kept secret of all is the lush, tropical courtyard - the perfect place to sit back, and relax with a glass of wine! It's one of the many reasons locals keep coming back!
- "One of the coolest places in Wellington! It is so cosy and comfortable you would like to come back again and again. They have olive tree growing in the yard, and plenty of space to sit inside or outside. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Food is delicious, we ordered a porridge and a big breakfast, and it was amazing. Porridge is very smooth and yummy, big breakfast has one of the best hash browns I've tried. I will definitely come here again!" - Abby Booker, Google
- "OMG there needs to be more stars. The food is amazing. How did you make that octopus taste so meaty and tender. I will definitely be back." - Angela Garbutt, Google
- Where: 167 Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington
- Price: $
This place is an institution in Wellington. If you are a vegetarian or appreciate a delicious plant-based meal, then the selection on Malaysian-style dishes on offer at Aunty Mena's will leave you satisfied. Enjoy dining at this low key, casual restaurant, where meals are affordable and tasty.
- "This place is a must. I stopped by to try a couple of dishes and was positively surprised by such a delicious meal. Best ever fried dumplings and roti bread. Even though I don't follow a vegetarian diet I strongly recommend this restaurant to everyone that enjoy good food at a fair price." - Matteo Corradin, Google
- "Aunty mena's really takes the cake when it comes to vege food in Wellington. It is my absolute 1. when back home visiting. Highly recommend the vegan pork buns and Malaysian style curry with roti." Geane Lyall, Google
- Where: 129 Willis Street, Te Aro, Wellington
- Price: $$-$$$
Every city has that exceptional burger joint you can't wait to tell your friends to try... and Burger Liquor is that place in Wellington! Located in the heart of the city, it serves delicious burgers at a great price. You can get all the usual sides, and a shake is a must!
- "Just a totally solid all round menu. Burgers, and chips, shakes, even grilled broccoli. The food was all super hot, fresh and delicious. The smoothie was rich, cold and chocolatey. Good overall atmosphere, service friendly and proactive." - Danjerus Thyme, Google
- "Did a takeaway. Good range of burgers as well as drinks of all kinds- milkshakes, hard shakes, wines, beers and spirits. A local institution. Must try." - Kevin Ang, Google
- Where: 14 Jessie Street, Te Aro, Wellington
- Price: $$
Prefab café is located in the inner city of Wellington. It is the cafe attached to
- "Great vibe, busy but relaxed. Cafe feel was upbeat, open and warm. Wait staff friendly and efficient, especially the Maitre d' who greeted us at the front door. Coffee was good. Food yum. Would recommend a visit if you are in Wellington!" - Courtney Ryder, Google
- "A busy, bustly, noisy city cafe. Great natural light. Enthusiastic, professional wait staff offering good advice and slick service. Food is excellent with great menu choices, daily specials and an enticing range of counter food. The coffee is excellent too." - Brett Sangster, Google
Neo Café & Eatery
- Where: 132 Willis Street, Te Aro, Wellington
- Price: $$
Neo Café & Eatery specialise in all day brunches, fresh cabinet salads and in-house baking, with options to meet a variety of dietary requirements. Sit in a relaxed environment and enjoy your meal with a coffee (it's top notch!)
- "Excellent! Well balanced and well portioned food, great Supreme coffee, good atmosphere." - Sam C., Google
- "Beaut service. Delightful food. Great coffee. Totally recommend!" - Tam Peters, Google
Ortega Fish Shack
- Where: 16 Majoribanks Street, Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Price: $$$
This long established fish shack and cocktail bar is a staple of Wellington. The menu changes daily depending on the produce available, so you have opportunity to try some of the freshest local seafood. There is a drink list with a large selection of wines and beers.
- "Absolutely delicious food, simply done. Knowledgeable service, fantastic wine. We couldn’t fault it. Thanks so much!" - Jaime Ritchie, Google
- "If I could give this place more stars I would. the food is marvelous and I happily rate this place as a favourite in all of Wellington. an absolute must visit if you're in town. the service is remarkable. everything about dining here is sincerely top notch." - Landon Jones, Google
Rock Yard Restaurant
- Where: 18 Allen Street, Te Aro, Wellington
- Price: $$-$$$
The team at Rock Yard provides a modern take on Vietnamese cuisine. Best shared, the menu is a mix of regional dishes and authentic street food. There is a superb drinks list, with craft beers, an extensive wine list and cocktails on the menu.
- "First time there today. Won't be my last. The food was delicious and the staff super friendly and knowledgeable. Thank you team." - Valerie Askew, Google
- "Enjoyable evening.. Great food and friendly staff" - Hilary Malcolm, Google
So, why not try one of the restaurants above and experience some of the best that Wellington has to offer!
Note: we work hard to be accurate, but it always is worth checking with the restaurant directly to check they are open before heading out.