At WridgWays, we know that moving interstate can be a tricky process, but it doesn’t have to be! Our interstate removalist specialists will be happy to help you with every aspect of your move, from start to finish. This moving interstate checklist will provide you with all the information you need to ensure your moving day goes smoothly. We’ll make it easy for you!
For further tips and moving suggestions, download the moving checklist on our website.
6-8 weeks before moving day
So you’ve made the decision to move interstate. What happens next? You need to plan what you want moved with you, what you want sent to a secure storage facility, and what you want to dispose of. Make sure you get an accurate quote from WridgWays for your entire move so you understand all the costs involved. Plus, we can help you with any questions or concerns you may have!
- If you have a lot of rubbish, book a skip bin or hard waste collection.
- Book any travel and accommodation if needed.
- Get an accurate quote to ensure a stress-free moving experience.
- Speak to WridgWays to learn about their cost effective insurance options.
- Check the laws in your new state about car registration. You don’t want to get in trouble if you aren’t registered in time!
- Arrange secure storage facilities with WridgWays if necessary.
- Research information about your new destination, such as supermarkets, hospitals, parks, and schools.
- Decide if you wish to pack your belongings yourself or allow the interstate removalists to do this.
- Finalise your moving date with your WridgWays removalists.
1-2 weeks before moving day
A few weeks before moving interstate, it is time to get organised! You can start packing any items which are rarely used, if you are packing yourself, and dismantle any furniture or items that you need to take apart. Renting your home? Why not get WridgWays to professionally clean it for you? This will ensure that you get as much back from your bond as possible!
- Make sure you have booked and confirmed all your travel arrangements.
- Check that your gas cylinders are empty and have an authorised gas cylinder test station certify them. Please do not do this task yourself, as it is dangerous.
- Check with the manufacturers of your white goods and appliances to see if they need any attention
- If you are paying for the removal yourself, ensure that you confirm the payment 3 days before moving day.
- Arrange to have your mail redirected to your new address.
- Organise to have your utilities reconnected at your new home on move-in day, or contact WridgWays for help.
1 day before the move
With only one day to go before moving interstate, it is time to make sure that everything is ready to go. If you are packing your own belongings, ensure all boxes are packed, sealed, and labelled, ready for WridgWays to collect them on moving day. Plan on having your pets transported with us? Great! Just make sure they are all ready for their trip.
- Make sure you have provided all important service providers and authorities with your updated address.
- Remove all rubbish and waste from the premises.
- Use water beads in when packing liquids. When dry they are super absorbent.
- Keep all valuables, including jewellery and important documents, with you.
- Ensure that you defrost and dry any fridges and freezers.
- If you have arranged with WridgWays to have your car transported, ensure it is ready for us to collect.
The big day is finally here! After a good night’s sleep, you need to check you haven’t forgotten anything. You don’t want to leave your child’s favourite teddy behind! Make sure that you, or an authorised person over the age of 18, is present on packing and moving day. If no-one is present you may be liable for extra charges, which no one wants!
- Show the interstate removalists around your home and give them clear instructions on what they need to collect and what they don’t.
- Clean your house, or arrange for WridgWays to do this for you.
- Make sure you have turned off all taps and electrical switches.
- Lock up the entire house, including all doors, windows, and garage doors, making sure to take the keys with you.
- Make sure you haven’t left anything behind.
This moving interstate checklist covers everything you need to know about interstate removalists. Now you will be fully prepared for your next move! When you move with WridgWays, we promise that we will do our best to ensure you have the best moving experience possible.