Moving to a new place is an exciting time for many people. There are tonnes of new places to explore — including finding your new favourite local takeout and dining options. If you've recently relocated to Christchurch, you'll find you are spoiled for options. Even the locals have a hard time deciding over burgers at one of the American-style diners or enjoying fine dining at long-standing institutions.
At WridgWays, we make moving from Australia to Christchurch easy. Our certified international removalists can assist with packing and unpacking your belongings, and organising pet and car transport.
- Where: 126 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch Central, Christchurch
- Price: $$-$$$
With a central location on the rebuilt Oxford Terrace, this bar and restaurant is fast becoming a culinary hotspot. Amazonita is a new beginning, a place of strong spirits. This tropically inspired restaurant and bar is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a delicious brunch, or dinner and cocktails into the night.
- "Had the most amazing drinks and food with some friends out for dinner. Such a great vibe, and Lauren who served us was 10/10 for service! Couldn’t have been a better dinner." - Rachel Dick, Google
- "Had a great time coming here over the weekend for dinner. Highly recommend making sure you have a booking as it can get busy quick! Decent selection of food and very nice cocktail list!" - Vee Dimant, Google
- Where: 48 Hereford Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch
- Price: $-$$
Inati offers seasonally-inspired tasting plates that explore and push the boundaries of contemporary dining. Get a group of your friends together for a night of shared food experiences. Sit around the chef's table and take in the theatre of the kitchen, while enjoying some of New Zealand's finest locally sourced produce. The menu is separated into different categories — Earth, Land, Sea, Nectar and Large Plates. It also has an extensive wine menu.
- "Incredible experience. Our favourite restaurant in Christchurch, if not New Zealand. The menu changes frequently to match the seasons. The front of house service is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Local produce mixed with local wines makes for an experience not to be missed." - Jason Wills, Google
- "The food is flawless and pieced together with imagination & thought to create beautiful flavours that take you on a journey, this is a world class restaurant." - Cayne Worthington, Google
Christchurch Tramway Restaurant
- Where: 109 Worcester Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch
- Price: $$$$
The Tramway Restaurant is a famous icon in Christchurch, so why not indulge and celebrate your move to your new home town with a unique dining experience. Sit back and enjoy the sights of inner-city Christchurch, including commentary on the history of the city.
The menu package includes quality New Zealand produce, with the menu changing seasonally. There is a selection on New Zealand wines and local beers available, and you have the option to purchase a wine matching package to complement your experience. Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian options are available.
The trams are currently being refurbished, and the newly-refurbished trams are due to launch in November 2020.
- "The tramway restaurant is an excellent attraction that enables you to see the amazing rebuild of the Christchurch CBD as you dine." - Warren Smith, Google
- "It was a great experience; our server, Matt, was fantastic, with the restaurant itself providing a unique way to view the various sights around Christchurch." - Brandon Borg, Google
Bacon Bros Burgers
- Where: 118 High Street, Christchurch Central Christchurch
- Price: $
If you are looking for a quick bite to eat, you cannot go past a Bacon Bros burger. They have set out to produce the best burgers in town. With a wide selection of burgers on the menu, you will be able to pick up something for every taste bud — they even have delicious vegan options available.
- "Best burgers ever!! Free-range meat, tasty sauces, generous fillings, and always pleasant service with a smile. It's so easy to support local when a business is this good!" - Maryana Hamilton, Google
- "Amazing burgers. Great choice, including some lovely vegetarian options, and fantastic customer service. Thank you for finding some ice-cream for us and dropping it off." - Caitlin Shaw, Google
Twenty Seven Steps
- Where: 16 New Regent Street, Christchurch City, Christchurch
- Price: $$-$$$
This modern and sophisticated bistro is centrally located and, as the name suggests, the restaurant is upstairs. It offers European-style cuisine in a fine dining setting, without the pomp and stuffiness. Ingredients on the menu are seasonal and locally sourced whereever possible. Serving sizes are generous, and there is an extensive wine and cocktail menu.
- "Oh my fitness, this place is a culinary Heaven. My wife and I visited here is a special treat and enjoyed what I would regard as quite possibly the best meal I have ever had in Christchurch." - Michael Brown, Google
- "The service was great, menu was varied and the food divine. The yam soup with coriander, coconut and lime was the best! The ladies at the table loved being able to have a teacup of soup rather than a big bowl." - Karen McElhinney, Google
- Where: 21 Riccarton Road, Riccarton, Christchurch
- Price: $$-$$$
For some of the city's best Thai, you can't go past Thai Orchid. This iconic restaurant is a crowd favourite for Christchurch locals. For over 30 years, Thai Orchid has given Kiwis a taste of authentic Thai dishes and welcoming hospitality. If you like Thai, you cannot go past this gem!
- "Best thai food experience in New Zealand for me so far. The crispy duck was really good and the green salmon curry is unique from this place." - Joan Flores, Google
- "Absolutely Superb! Amazing everything, Thank you again Thai Orchid! I took a guest to Thai Orchid recently for lunch and they were totally blown away with the fresh, hot and fragrant food, with lots of vegetables." - Jorda Fingid, Google
Jaba Grill and Bar
- Where: 2/150 Lichfield Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch
- Price: $$-$$$
This steakhouse offers the best beef steaks and ribs in town! Using a state-of-the-art Kopa charcoal grill, the steaks have a unique and distinctive charcoal flavour. They source local ingredients from suppliers and farmers and serve some of the finest New Zealand wines and beers.
- "I found this hidden restaurant and everything about it is amazing! The owner is very cute and provides first-class service! The food is to die for the best steak we have ever had!"Delicious food and excellent service." - Jordan Splinter, Google
- "Myself and my partner absolutely love Jaba for a cosy date night. The food is to die for. Favourites are the tomahawk steak, the bone marrow and the ribs. All seasoned & cooked to perfection." - Hayley Olsen, Google
So, what are you waiting for? Try one of the above restaurants or eateries and experience food like a true Christchurch local.