Is Your Home Fire Ready?
Checking for fire safety in your home is a must, whether moving to a new location or simply reviewing the current fire safety in your home. Caught up in the hustle and bustle of day to day activities many of us tend to overlook safety in the home. A fire in the home is unfortunately something that could happen to anyone, in any location. Thankfully there are a few precautionary steps you can take in helping prevent this from happening, or being prepared if it does:
- Smoke alarms – first things first, make sure that your home has a fully functional smoke alarm and that the batteries are in good working order. It’s recommended that you change the batteries in your alarm every six months. If you are moving to a new home, there is really no way of knowing how long it has been since the last owners or tenants changed the batteries in the alarm, we would advise you do this immediately as an extra precautionary measure.
- Have an exit strategy in place – it is essential that every household has a home fire escape plan in place, and practises this regularly. If you have littlies you could turn this into a fun event with the kids, get them involved by using role plays as a way of reinforcing the plan. Sit everyone down and create the plan together. Your fire exit plan should identify the exits in your home and outline a designated location where everyone in the home will meet once they are safely outside. Anyone who looks after your children or stays in your home should too be aware of the fire escape plan. Keeping emergency telephone numbers within easy view will save lots of time in the event of an emergency.
- Cooking – things can often get quite manic in the kitchen. After a long day at work it is easy to overlook basic fire safety measures. It is important never to leave open flames or your cooking unattended. Tea towels or sometimes even the long sleeves on your clothes could accidentally get caught on the hot flames. So keep these, oven mitts and other flammable items well away from your stove or cook-top. Turning your pot and pan handles inwards so they won’t be knocked over is another tip to be mindful. Additionally, cleaning your stove and grill after each use will prevent fat residue from burning and catching alight.
- Power points – Switching off your power points and appliances when not in use will not only save you money on electricity bills but can prevent overloading, leading to electrical faults, electrocution and even fires! A damaged plug or cord could also cause a fire. You’re best getting rid these or having them fixed.
- Clothes dryers – your clothes dryers are prone to catching fire due to their collection of lint. Making sure that you clean out the lint filter after every use will significantly reduce the chances of a fire breaking out in your home.
For further information on helping to keep your home fire safe, you can also visit: http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/
For information on Wridgways moving services please freecall us and speak with a friendly Wridgways moving consultant today on 1800 225 916.