Local Moving Costs
How Much Does Moving Really Cost?
When moving locally, it can be easy to assume it will be cheaper to do it yourself. But is moving your home on your own worth the hassle? WridgWays can help you get a better idea of the costs involved in moving locally, so you can plan your move easily.
Want to know more about local moving costs? Get a removal quote from WridgWays today!
What to think about before you move
There are so many things to think about when you move that it’s best to start planning early. Before the big day, you need to work out what will be moved. If you want to get rid of some of your belongings, it might be a good idea to hire a skip bin. You also need to decide if you are moving by yourself or hiring a professional removalist. This can be a tricky decision with local moves, especially if you are moving nearby.
These are the things you need to consider:
- If you want to hire removalists or do it yourself
- Do you need to hire a skip bin?
- Do you need professional cleaning?
- How much money are you willing to spend?
- How many things do you need to move?
What local moving costs
Although local moving costs will change for everyone, you can easily work out an estimate. The more items and bedrooms you have, the higher the cost will be. If you hire a van or truck yourself, it will cost around $70 an hour, while most professional removalists charge $130 an hour. If you want everything packed, moved, and unpacked by professional removalists, the price will be higher.
These are the average local moving costs based on house size:
- $320 – $1,000 for a one-bedroom apartment
- $450 – $1,200 for a two-bedroom home
- $550 – $1,500 for a three-bedroom home
- $700 – $2,400 for a four-bedroom home
With every move, you can choose to customise the services available to suit your needs. If you know you have very valuable goods, you might want moving insurance. This will protect your goods during transit and while they are packed. Storing your belongings in a secure storage facility is another option. This will keep your belongings safe until you’re ready to move into your new home.
Other options for local moving add-ons include:
- Packing and unpacking
- Vehicle transportation
- Pet transportation
- Utility connection
- Secure storage
The risks of cheap removalists
If you’re thinking about choosing a removalist based on price, consider the risks involved with cheap removalists. When you move with a company that isn’t certified or trained properly there is a higher chance of your goods being damaged or lost. With backloading companies, it is also likely that your belongings won’t be collected at all. Many Australians have complained that these companies never show up for a pre-booked move, or arrive several days late.
Still thinking of hiring cheap removalists? Consider the following risks:
- No accreditation
- Poorer quality service and standards
- Staff who are not trained properly
- Companies that do not have the right equipment, vehicles, or premises
- They often don’t arrive on time, or at all
- Higher risk of damage to your goods
Why professional removalists are best
To get the best quality service for your move, it is best to choose a premium removalist. This will guarantee you that your belongings will get to your new home safely and on time. Choosing a premium removalist will ensure that you get all the extra services that cheap removalists won’t include. You will also have the peace of mind of knowing that the removalists know what they are doing.
These are just some of the reasons why professional removalists are better:
- They are accredited with the Australian Furniture Removers Association
- The price often includes disassembling and reassembling furniture
- Their staff are properly trained and have the necessary equipment
- The extra cost usually comes with extra services
- They are more reputable and trustworthy
- They will often pack and unpack your boxes for you, and provide packing materials
|Services||1-2 bedroom home cost estimate||3-4 bedroom home cost estimate|
|Insurance||$500 – $1,000||$1,000 – $2,000|
|Storage||$100 – $200 per month||$200 – $400 per month|
|Rubbish removal||$80 – $150||$150 – $250|
|Cleaning||$25 – $75||$75 – $150|
|Utility connection||$100 – $400||$100 – $400|
|Removalists||$320 – $1,200||$550 – $2,400|
|Total||$1,125 – $3,025||$2,075 – $5,600|
While these prices are useful for giving you an idea of the local moving costs, getting an accurate removal quote will give you a better estimate. Once your removalists have completed a home survey, they will be able to give you an accurate removal quote. Then all you have to do is sit back and relax as your removalists handle your move!
For a more accurate estimate of local moving costs, contact WridgWays today for your free removal quote!