Moving Interstate: 6 Important Things to Consider
Moving interstate can trigger a wide range of feelings – excitement, fear, anticipation, frustration and exhaustion (just to name a few). But the big one? STRESS. Moving yourself and your family from one state to another is a big decision and an enormous lifestyle change, so it is possible that you may feel a little anxious from time to time. While these feelings can arise from time to time, you don’t need to feel overwhelmed. There are some straightforward, practical steps you can take to make your big move interstate run as smoothly as possible, from the culling of junk and clutter before packing, through to the hiring of experienced and professional interstate removalists.
The Right Interstate Moving Company
Making sure you hire the right interstate removalist is essential. There are many different removals companies in the market, which offer a number of different services. With such an important choice to make, the number of options can sometimes cloud the process. It is important when making a decision that you are wary of cheaper prices, as this will usually indicate the lower quality of service on offer. It is crucial when making your decision to remember what is really important to you when moving interstate, and that sometimes the price isn’t everything. Keep the following points in mind when getting a removalist quote:
• How your goods will be packed and transported
• How many large and/or fragile goods need to be moved
• Whether your goods will be insured when the unexpected occurs
WridgWays works in the most professional manner and makes this process easy and simple for you, from getting a quote through to moving your belongings with care to their final destination.
Plan, Plan, Plan
Being over prepared is better than being underprepared. With this in mind, you should plan as many elements of your move as humanly possible! Take an inventory of everything you are bringing with you, and everything you are planning to sell or throw away. WridgWays Removalists will make it easy by providing you with a checklist, and this will ensure that everything is checked off and arranged before the big move. Unlike other removalists, WridgWays Removalists make every effort to make sure everything possible is considered and covered. While it is important to have everything budgeted and accounted for in advance, it is equally important to allow for some flexibility in your budget, just in case there are unexpected charges, such as a higher number of items or timeframes change. By planning well in advance and making use of our comprehensive checklist, you will be ensuring an easy, seamless move day.
Packing can prove to be the most daunting task involved with moving, but it doesn’t have to be. There are several benefits to taking a step back and allowing professionals to pack for you. WridgWays has over 120 years’ experience packing belongings systematically and with the care, you expect from a premium service provider. While we can make the packing process seem like a walk in the park, you are the only person with the power to reduce the amount of “stuff” you take with you. It’s important to be decisive with what you leave behind, sell, or dispose of. Sell as many unwanted belongings as you can before your move on eBay and Gumtree, or donate usable items to charity.
Professional interstate and international removalists will do their best to transport all your items as securely as possible, but the more you own and the farther you have to go, the higher the chances of things getting damaged. Not everything is guaranteed, so taking out moving insurance is an essential step when moving interstate. For your peace of mind, WridgWays offer competitive insurance for both interstate and international moves.
Another insurance worth considering which is commonly overlooked is car insurance. It is advisable to do some research to see if the car insurance you currently have will be valid in your new state, or whether there will be any added extras. If your current level of cover is not suitable you might want to consider a new car insurance policy that is more suited to your new circumstances, and don’t forget to investigate the impact of registering your car in your new state and arranging new number plates.
Spreading the Word
While your family and friends are likely to be aware of your big move, there are other more official measures that need to be taken care of. Notifying authorities of your move well in advance keeps things hassle-free during the relocation period and ensures you don’t miss out on anything when you do eventually move.
Make sure you notify your change of address to:
• Utilities (water, gas and electricity suppliers)
• Internet Service provider and mobile phone/landline companies
• Australia Post
• Home and contents insurance providers
• Australian Taxation Office
• Car registration, insurance and licensing
• Medicare and private health funds
• Australian Electoral Commission
• Local council
• Pet microchip registry
• Newspaper/magazine subscriptions and loyalty programs
Moving Interstate Checklist
Four Weeks Before the Move
• Book your interstate removals company
• Start notifying official channels of your change of address
• Make an inventory of large items that need to be moved, noting existing scratches and dents
• Start packing away items that won’t be needed until after you move
Two Weeks Before the Move
• Notify everyone of your change of address
• Start packing!
• Disassemble any large or awkward items
• Finalise plans for your moving day
• Arrange transfer of bank accounts, utilities and telephone connections
One Week Before the Move
• Draw up a house plan for where your furniture is to be placed in your new home
• Set aside an emergency pack of things you will need on the first day you move in
• Pack as much as you possibly can ahead of time
• Use up all food in your freezer
One Day Before the Move
• Pack personal items and luggage to take with you
• Leave out essential items for the movers for the next day
• Prepare an action plan for moving day
• Tick everything off this list!
WridgWays Removalists is an established local, interstate and international removalist with the years of experience necessary for a smooth, easy move. WridgWays Removalists has 125 years of experience moving Australian families.
Our team of local, interstate and international removalists are skilled professionals, who provide understanding and care. Our services include packing, unpacking, cleaning, vehicle transport, insurance, and much more! To discuss you next move find your nearest removalist branch here.