Moving Overseas Checklist
Everything you need to know about moving overseas
Planning on moving overseas? Don’t let the stress overwhelm you! Here at WridgWays we have an entire team of international removalists and immigration specialists who can help. This moving overseas checklist will provide you with all the information you need to prepare for your move overseas.
For further tips and moving suggestions, check out the moving checklist on our website.
6-8 weeks before moving day
As you start to plan your move overseas, you’ll realise there are so many things to think about. How are you going to get to your new destination? How do you want your belongings to get there? This is also the time to start researching your new home, as well as any visa or immigration requirements for your travel. This will make your journey through customs much easier.
- Book and arrange any travel or accommodation needed.
- Get an accurate international removalist quote to ensure a stress-free moving experience.
- Ensure all passports are up to date and will not expire during your move.
- If you planning on taking your car with you, check the laws in your new country about getting a drivers license.
- Arrange secure storage facilities with WridgWays if necessary.
- Familiarise yourself with the background information of your new home.
- Speak to WridgWays to learn about their cost effective insurance options.
- Find out if there are any quarantine requirements for your pets before you travel.
- Decide whether you want WridgWays to pack your belongings or if you want to do it yourself.
1-2 weeks before moving day
So you’ve only got a few weeks left before you move overseas? You need to start organising your belongings and finalising any paperwork for your move. This means making sure you keep all those pesky important documents in a secure location. You are going to need your passport if you plan on getting to your new destination on time.
- Contact WridgWays for help with updating your address with service providers and authorities.
- Make sure that you have paid any outstanding bills.
- If you are paying for the removal yourself, make sure to confirm the payment 3 days before moving day.
- Get some of the local currency from your new home so that you have cash on hand when you arrive.
- Tell your bank that you are relocating, and arrange to continue banking with them, or find a new banking institution at your destination.
- Confirm all your travel arrangements and accommodation.
- Ensure that your taxes are up-to-date.
- Receive any inoculations and vaccinations required to enter your new country.
- Organise a travel sim card or a new phone plan at your new destination.
1 day before the move
With the big day approaching fast, it is time to make sure you’re ready for your big move overseas! Make sure everything is packed and ready to go if you are packing your own belongings. Taking your precious pets with you? Make sure they are ready for the trip. Keep all your travel information handy too so there’s no panic when you get to the airport. You definitely don’t want to miss your flight!
- Remove all rubbish from the premises and clean out any bins.
- Keep all valuables, including jewellery and important documents, with you.
- Defrost and dry any fridges and freezers.
- If you have arranged to have your car transported, make sure it is ready for WridgWays to collect.
- Check in to your flights if you can.
- Finalise any packing and make sure all items have labels.
- Make sure that you get a good night’s sleep.
It’s finally time for the international removalists to help you move overseas. Check that you haven’t forgotten anything. You don’t want to be half-way around the world before you realise you left something behind! Either you, or an authorised person over the age of 18, needs to be present on packing and moving day. If no-one is present you may be liable for extra charges, and we’re sure that’s not what you want!
- Show the international removalists around your home and instruct them on what they need to collect and what they don’t.
- Make sure your house is nice and clean, or get WridgWays to do this for you.
- Make sure you have turned off all taps and electrical switches.
- Lock up the entire house, including all doors, windows, and garage doors, making sure to take the keys with you.
- Check that you have not left anything behind.
Now that you have read through our moving overseas checklist, you should be more prepared for your big move overseas. With WridgWays, we can assure you that your moving experience will be a good one, so you can sit back and relax on your journey. Let us do the hard work!
At WridgWays, we make moving overseas easy, so contact the international removalist experts to start your move and get a quick quote today!