Your Guide to Moving Family to Melbourne
Melbourne Moving Guide
If you’re planning on moving to Melbourne then you’ve come to the right place. Moving can be a complicated process and it can take a lot to organise. Here at WridgWays we aim to help make your move as smooth as possible. This moving guide will help you prepare for your transition to Melbourne.
Looking to move to Melbourne? Talk to WridgWays today!
Renting or buying
As one of the most liveable cities in the world, Melbourne is a popular destination in Australia. There are many different places to live in Melbourne, with some offering more benefits than others depending on what you’re looking for.
- The Docklands area is a very popular and fashionable place to live.
- North Melbourne has a more culturally diverse population.
- South Bank is home to lots of cafes and upmarket hotels, but the housing prices are much higher.
You’ll also have to decide if you want to rent or buy in Melbourne. Moving family to Melbourne means working out whether this move is permanent or temporary. If you’re not sure where the best area to live is, then it may be better to rent. Once you’ve decided where you want to settle down permanently, you can think about buying a home for your family.
The energy market in Melbourne is deregulated, so you will be able to find very competitive prices for energy. If you’re unsure about how much you should be paying, you can visit the Victorian Energy Compare website to check.
For water, you won’t have a choice about your supplier.
- Three corporations provide water based on what area of Melbourne you live in. You will either be with City West Water, South East Water, or Yarra Valley Water.
- Water should already be connected to your property, so there’s no need to arrange a connection.
Moving family to Melbourne means you’ll need to think about how you’ll get to work and school. It’s easy to get around in Melbourne thanks to the world’s largest tram network. If you’re planning on relying on public transport to get around, then you should invest in a Myki card.
- Myki will allow you to tap on and off using all Melbourne public transport options, including trains, trams, and buses.
- You can get a weekly pass if you plan on travelling frequently, or can simply pay per day if you prefer to travel by car.
In Victoria, kindergarten isn’t compulsory. This means that in the year your child turns six, you must enrol them in Prep. They will stay in primary school up until Grade 6, then move on to high school in Grade 7. All children in Melbourne must also attend school until they are 17 years of age.
- There are lots of public schools available to choose from for both primary and secondary school.
- If you’re interested in sending your kids to private school, be aware that they can cost around $30,000 per year.
Like the rest of the country, it’s compulsory to vote in Victoria once you’re 18 years of age, so make sure you’re enrolled with the Australian Electoral Commission. This will prevent you from receiving a fine. If you’re moving within Victoria, you’ll need to make sure you update your address online before the next election.
- You also need to register your pets with the local council if they are over three months of age.
- Before you can register your pets, you need to microchip them, which you can do with a vet or at the local council on microchip day.
Things to do in Melbourne
There is plenty to keep you occupied in Melbourne all year round. Victoria is known as the garden state and does not disappoint when it comes to green spaces, rainforest landscapes, and beaches. Known for its great coffee and lively nightlife, Melbourne is a cool place to live and has plenty of great places to hang out at.
- In the city you’ll find over 100 art galleries, museums, and other artistic spaces.
- Wander through the famous laneways to find stunning graffiti art, or watch buskers perform on street corners.
With so much to think about when moving family to Melbourne, why not let WridgWays help? Our removalists and relocation consultants can ensure your move is stress-free.
From packing and cleaning, to insurance and storage, we will cover your move every step of the way. We can help ensure you have a comprehensive Melbourne moving guide.
Moving family to Melbourne? Talk to WridgWays today to organise your move!