Your Guide to Moving to the UK
Moving to the UK from Australia
Moving to the UK is a big task and not something you want to take lightly. It will take a lot of planning and preparation! If you’re not sure exactly what you need to do to get ready, that’s where we come in. This handy checklist will help you prepare for moving to the UK from Australia.
Are you ready for your move to the UK? Talk to the friendly staff at WridgWays today for a free quote!
6-8 weeks before moving day
Moving to the UK doesn’t have to be hard if you start preparing early. There are so many things to think about that it’s a good idea to make a list of everything you need to do. At this point you need to be thinking about how you’re going to move and what the visa or immigration requirements are.
- Choose if you want your belongings shipped by air or by sea.
- Search for jobs in your new country.
- Figure out any legal requirements like visas and passports.
- Find out if you are eligible for an ancestry visa or the right of abode.
- Arrange secure storage facilities with WridgWays if needed.
- Speak to WridgWays about our cost-effective insurance options.
- Book any travel and accommodation needed.
- If you’re planning on living in the UK for more than a year, see if you’re eligible for health care through the National Health Service.
1-2 weeks before moving day
A few weeks before moving to the UK you’ll need to organise your belongings and finalise any paperwork. If you’re packing yourself it’s time to start this process, or you can get WridgWays to do this for you. Make sure all your important documents are safe and secure and easy to access should you need them.
- Exchange your driver’s licence for a UK one.
- Write down any emergency contact numbers in the UK such as emergency services, doctors, and the Australian embassy.
- Get in touch with other expats so you have friends after moving to the UK.
- Let people know that you’re leaving and give them a way to contact you.
- If you are paying for the removal yourself then make sure you confirm the payment 3 days before moving.
- Make sure your taxes in Australia are up-to-date.
- Organise a travel sim card or a new phone plan for the UK.
- Set up your utilities and communications in the UK or have WridgWays organise this for you.
- Get any necessary vaccinations for yourself and your pets.
- Hire a skip bin if you have excess rubbish to get rid of.
1 day before the move
The big day is almost here and it’s time to make sure you’re prepared for moving to the UK from Australia. You need to get all your belongings ready for the move and make sure you’re ready for your flights. If you’re travelling with pets, make sure they’re ready for their trip too. You don’t want your pets getting scared or lonely!
- Get rid of any rubbish on your premises.
- Defrost your fridges and freezers and dry them off.
- If you need to open a new bank account when you arrive in the UK make sure you have your ID and proof of address handy.
- Check in for your international flights if you can.
- Make sure all your belongings are organised and labelled.
- Take any leftover things that you don’t want to your local op shop.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
When the day finally arrives it’s good to be prepared. There is so much to do that it can be easy to forget things! Remember to stay calm during the process and try not to get too overwhelmed. On moving day, either you or an authorised person over 18 needs to be present for the packing and moving. If no-one is present when the removalists arrive then you may be eligible for extra charges. You certainly don’t want that!
- Show the removalists around your home and make sure they know what needs to be packed and what doesn’t.
- Ensure your home has been cleaned.
- Turn off all taps and electrical switches.
- Lock up the house and all windows and doors.
- Check that you haven’t forgotten anything or left anything behind.
Now that you’re all ready, moving to the UK should be much easier. At WridgWays, we aim to help you every step of the way to make your move easy. We provide end-to-end services that cover you every step of the way. With your move to the UK we will ensure everything runs smoothly and seamlessly.
Want a smooth move? Contact WridgWays today to make moving to the UK easy!